Home > Consular Service
Instructions on Chinese Visa

I. Chinese Mainland Visa

A Chinese mainland visa is a permit issued by the Chinese visa authorities to foreigners for entry into, exit from or transit through the 

mainland of China. Chinese Mainland Visa breaks into 4 categories: Diplomatic, Courtesy, Official and Ordinary visas. The ordinary 

visa has 8 different types as follows:

F Visa: Issued to those invited to China for business, inspection, lecture, scientific-technological & cultural exchange, 

short-term study or intern practice, etc. less than 6 months.

L Visa: Issued to those going to China for tourism, family/relative visit or other private matters.

X Visa: Issued to those going to China for study or intern practice longer than 6 months.

Z Visa: Issued to those going to China for employment, commercial performance or academic exchange, and also to their 

accompanying spouse and minor children.

C Visa: Issued to crew members of international trains, flight and ship.

J Visa 

J-1: Issued to foreign resident correspondents and their accompanying spouse and minor children. 

J-2: Issued to foreign correspondents for interim coverage in China.

G Visa:  Issued to those going to a third country in transit of China, or staying at the airport for more than 24 hours or going

out of the airport.

D Visa: Issued to those going to reside permanently in China.


II. How to Apply for Chinese Mainland Visa

Diplomatic passport holders of Pakistan are exempted from visa and may stay up to 30 days in the mainland of China,up to 14 days

 in Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR respectively. Official passport holders of Pakistan are exempted from visa and may stay up to 

30 days in the mainland of China and up to 14 days in Hong Kong SAR.

When applying for a Chinese mainland visa, you should basically submit:

1. Duly completed Visa Application Form (can be downloaded from this website), affix one recent color photo (30mm X 40mm).

2. Original passport with a validity of more than 6 months and minimum 2 blank visa pages, and photocopies of the first 2 pages

 (personal information) of your passport and recent Chinese visas if any.

3. If it is your first visit to China, you should provide your local police character/clearance certificate.

In addition to the above, please prepare following documents when applying for a different type of visa:

F Visa (Business, Lecture, Exchange, etc)

1. Original invitation or confirmation letter (used to be called Visa Notice) from an authorized government organization like the 

local foreign affairs office or etc. in China;

2. Invitation letter from your inviting Chinese organization;

3. A recommendation letter from your local Chamber of Commerce & Industry or your company Registration 

Certificate (photocopy);

4. A supporting letter from your organization;

5. Your tax certificate (photocopy);

6. Your bank statement (personal or company);

7. If it is your first visit to China, your round-trip air tickets and hotel booking.

L Visa (Tourism/Family Visit)

Foreign nationals for tourism or family visit should guarantee their expenses in China. You should submit:

1. Your bank statement and round-trip tickets;

2. Invitation letter from your direct relative to visit;

3. Marriage certificate or relationship documents (original and photocopy attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs Islamabad);

4. Inviter's photocopy of identity documents such as passport, identity card or residence booklet, etc.

For tourism in China, Pakistani nationals are encouraged to join a tourist group (more than 5 people), which should be 

arranged through a qualified local travel agency.

X Visa (Student)

1. Student Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW 202 or JW201, original and photocopy);

2. Admission Letter from your perspective university;

3. Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (to be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Islamabad. Blank form 

can be downloaded from this website);

4. Mark sheet/diploma (original and photocopy).

Z Visa (Work/Employment)

1. Original invitation or confirmation letter (used to be called Visa Notice) from an authorized government organization 

like the local foreign affairs office, ect. in China;

2. Registration Certificate of Foreign Enterprises Permanent Office in China/Alien Employment License of 

the P. R. China/Working Permit by the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, China;

3. Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (to be attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs Islamabad. Blank form can 

be downloaded from this website);

4. Supporting letter from your organization.

Foreign technicians engaged in offshore petroleum operations can apply for Z visa with a Letter of Invitation for Foreigners

 Engaged in Offshore Petroleum Operations in China.

G Visa (Transit)

1. A valid visa of the third country (original and photocopy);

2. Your confirmed through ticket to the third country via China (original and photocopy).


1. Generally applicants should appear in person with required documents, and may answer questions from the visa officer.

2. The visa officer can deny visa application running counter to Chinese laws and regulations, and has the right to change

 and cancel the issued visas.

3.New visa application form (Form V.2011A/B) should be used (downloadable from this website). The old visa 

application form will NOT be acceptable after 1 July 2011.


III. Visa Processing and fees

Diplomatic and Official passport holders of the third countries as well as Pakistani ordinary passport holders are exempted 

from visa fees.

Visa processing normally takes 4 working days. Express service takes 2 to 3 working days.

Visa fees for U.S. ordinary passport holders:

1. Single/Double/Multiple Entries    Rs. 10,400

2. Group Visa                      Rs. 8,000 per capita

Visa fees for other countries' ordinary passport holders:

1. Single Entry                     Rs. 2,000

2. Double Entries                   Rs.3,000

3. 6-Month Multiple Entries           Rs.4,000

4. 12-Month Multiple Entries          Rs.5,000

5. Group Visa                      Rs.1,600 per capita

Rush and Express Service Fees:

Express Service (less than 4 working days)     Rs.1,400


IV. Hongkong Visa

Ordinary passport holders of Pakistan can also apply for their Hong Kong visas by contacting Hongkong 

Immigration Department directly, or through their sponsors in Hong Kong. Information of Hong Kong Immigration 

Department is as follows.

Hong Kong Immigration Department

Receipt and Dispatch Unit, 2/F,

Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road,

Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

Website: www.info.gov.hk/immd

Tel: 00852-28246111 or 00852-28241212

Fax: 00852-28241133


V. Macao Visa

Following notification from Public Security Police Force of the government of the Macao SAR of China, nationals 

of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Sri Lanka and Vietnam, except personnel of certain specified category, are 

required to guarantee an entry visa in advance starting from 1 July 2010. Visa-upon-arrival is no longer applicable to nationals of above countries.

Chinese Embassies and consulates overseas accept Macao visa applications. For detailed Macao visa requirements 

and updates, please visit Macao Public Security Police Force website www.fsm.gov.mo/psp/eng/main.html

To download forms

1. New Visa Application Form of P.R.China (Form V.2011A)

    (www.fmprc.gov.cn/chn/pds/fw/lsfw/qzjj/P020101228329274731425.pdf )

2. Instruction to Visa Application Form (Form V.2011A)


3. Supplementary Visa Application Form of P.R. China (Form 


(http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/chn/pds/fw/lsfw/qzjj/P020101228333626471551.pdf )

4. Instruction to Supplementary Visa Application Form (Form V.2011B)

(http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/chn/pds/fw/lsfw/qzjj/P020101228343656938714.pdf )

5. Physical Examination Record


Suggest To A Friend: